Verbattle National Level School Debate Championship - Junior | 27th Nov. - 4th Dec, 2019
Verbattle, established in 2005 is a registered not for profit foundation. It is recognized as the biggest professional debate promotion and coaching organization in India with activities now in many countries all over the world. Verbattle essentially employs Logic, Democratic Values and Competitive Thinking to effectively conduct its activities in an impacting manner.
Verbattle conducts the large scale debate competitions with its unique and world renowned format. This format helps the participating children and youth to not just test their debating skills but also their knowledge and the quality of thinking.
Verbattle is well known for its biggest Debate Competition in Karnataka and elsewhere in the country and also its programs and activities in Europe and other parts of the world. Verbattle had been planning a National level competition for many years now and that dream had come to shape and now we are rolling out the second edition of our Biggest National Level debate competition - Junior, for school students. This is being organized in Bengaluru from 27th Nov. - 4th Dec. 2019 ; tentative venue being Gandhibhavan, Bengaluru. Exact venue will be confirmed to the registered participants.
This is a unique event to promote democratic, social, communication, intellectual, knowledge and scholastic skills in school students. This event also endeavours to discover young opinion leaders and foster leadership qualities in children. The National level competition will attract teams from schools from all over India with major participation from Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi.
School students in the age group of 12 to 16 years also studying in a class from 7th to 10th are eligible to participate.
The competition in English will be a league tournament at the first level, with each team having to compete in not fewer than five debates and up to a maximum of six debates in case of a tie.
The second level will be the Verbattle format with three teams on stage, with two debating 'for' and one 'against', or one 'for' and two 'against'.
* 27th November, 2019 - Workshop & Boot camp
* 28-30 November, 2019 - League Competitions 1,2,3
* 01st December, 2019 - Sunday - Off
* 2nd & 3rd December, 2019 - Combat Rounds
* 4th December, 2019 - Confrontation in the morning session / Face off in the afternoon session
Prizes and other details:
* Winning Team : Rs. Two Lakhs
* Finalist Teams(2 Teams) : Rs. Fifty Thousand Each
* Best speaker in the League competition - Rs. Ten Thousand.
* Winning Team's Mentor: Rs. Twenty Thousand.
Trophies and Certificates:
Trophies will be given to the Champions and Certificates will be given to all participants according to the level of participation.
* The fee of Rs 4000 for outstation team includes :
- Participation fee of Rs 2,000
- Food & Accommodation for two members of team and one registered mentor. (If there are more teams from one institution a max of two registered mentors will be accommodated for more than one team per institution. )
- Travel from and to the airport/railway station/bus stand in Bengaluru on scheduled dates at stipulated timings.
* Students from Bengaluru city Schools: Rs. 2,000
- without accommodation
* Accommodation will be provided in some comfortable facility near the campus.
* Any additional mentor/accompanying adult will pay Rs. 2000.
* Decent dormitory accommodation and food will be provided to the registered teams and mentors from outstation .
* For students from Bangalore Schools - Coffee/Tea Lunch and Evening Snack.
* For Resident Teams : Breakfast, Tea during break, Lunch, Evening Snack and Dinner. Menu will be announced on 26th November 2019
Local Travel :
* Verbattle would organize pick up drop from Airport / Bus Stand / Railway Station.
* Pick up and drop to and fro between Accommodation and Venue for all resident teams.
* A tour of the city will be organized for interested students on one of the evenings.
Kumara Park East, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001
080 2226 1967
* Date: 27th Nov. - 4th Dec.
It would be a great opportunity for schools and students to be a part of this great knowledge sport in India.
Parents and Schools are requested to kindly encourage students to look at the benefit of preparing for and participating in Verbattle. The benefits are far-reaching and long term. With support, we can make Verbattle realize its goal of establishing a sound culture of debate in India, along with reinforcement of responsible free speech.
More details of the competition may be found on www.verbattle.com or calling the helpline +91-9886464641
Inputs to Registrants of Verbattle National Debate Competition 2019
1. One mentor per school will be added to the Verbattle Mentor Group on Whatsapp. The number and the name of the mentor needs to be provided on or before 25th November, for time to time updations and notifications.
2. Please let us know your arrival time. Do keep 60 minutes time to pick up from central railway station or 90 min. from suburban railway stations/airport. Please note that the wait could extend a bit too, only if the traffic is worse.
3. Accommodation for outstation students is facilitated at:
#44, Lalbagh Fort Rd,
Phone: 080 4114 2417
Contact Person: Mr. Shankar
4. Breakfast & Dinner will be provided at the accommodation. Food will be prepared under strict supervision and in hygienic condition. Your requirement of breakfast or dinner has to be informed by 4 pm for dinner and 9 pm, the previous night, for breakfast. Lunch would be served at the venue itself. Evening snacks will be served only if the event goes beyond 5 pm.
5. Safe drinking water( RO filtered) will be available both at the venue and the accommodation.
6. A Workshop / Bootcamp will be held on 27th November 2019. A 2 hour workshop will be conducted by the founder and chief of Verbattle Mr.Deepak Thimaya.
7. The topics will be: Importance of Debate, Verbatte Debate, Verbattle Format, The DOs and DON'Ts of a Verbattle Debate and How to win in a Verbattle Debate.
8. The inauguration of the event will happen on the 28th November, at 10.30 am.
9. Students are expected to be at the venue at 9 am sharp.
10. The call numbers and statements are given randomly and by way of lotto.
11. League competitions happen on 28th, 29th and 30th November, 2019.
12. All teams are expected to take part in all three league competitions.
13. The best 27 teams on the basis of top scores will be selected for the Combat level.
14. Mentors should bring along the hard copies of the registration forms without fail. Participants will be allowed to go on stage only after receipt and verification of the hard copies of the registration form.
15. All disputes and queries if any, have to be solved in the most diplomatic way possible and we do not want any commotion, conflict or unpleasantness that would mar the spirit of camaraderie and bonhomie in Verbattle.
16. Please note that everything is done in the best interest of the participating students and teachers and Verbattle looks forward to reciprocation of the same goodwill.
17. Below are the Contact persons & numbers
Logistics - I contact - Driver Mr.Subbegowda - 9945559059
Alternate contact - Coordinator Mr.Surojith - 9804331151
Accommodation - Minerva Residency
I Contact : Mr. Shankar - 9035063400
Alternate contact - Coordinator Mr.Surojith - 9804331151
18. Participants are required to be present in their school uniform and carry their school ID card for the competition. Failure to do so might result in denial of participation.
19. Weather conditions - Generally pleasant. As Winter is slowly setting in, couple of warm clothes may be brought along by outstation participants for evenings.
20. Venue of the event - Gandhibhavan
Kumara Park East,
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 080 2226 1967